Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Thursday, October 06, 2005

What's Up With Liberal Christianity? #2


A Liberal Christian is someone who is trying to serve two masters. He is trying to live in two worlds, straddle the fence and receive the consumer benefits of both. The problem is, one can't serve two masters. Jesus said, "No one can serve two masters, you will end up being devoted to one and despise the other." As a human being, who naturally leans toward the flesh side, which side do you think wins when we try to worship both?

The apostle Paul writes that there is this old sinful nature within me that wants to do wrong, and it wins most of the time. He says the only way to keep the sinful nature at bay, is to stay in the Spirit. Because of the sinful nature that is within all of us, the more we are in the world, the more we become like the world, sinful. Our sinful nature is always hostile towards God. If we stay in the Spirit of God, we will do things that are pleasing to the Spirit. (Rom. 8:1-15) The more we are in the world, the more we will be worldly. That is not the goal of a true Christ-follower.

Thomas Merton wrote in the introduction to his The Wisdom of the Desert: "Society...was regarded (by the Desert Fathers) as a shipwreck from which each single individual man had to swim for his life...These were men who believed that to let oneself drift along, passively accepting the tenets and values of what they knew as society, was purely and simply a disaster."


The devil spends all of his time working to separate us from God. The Bible calls separation death. His goal, according to Jesus, is to destroy us, kill us. Jesus said, "You are truly my disciples if you obey my teachings." Jesus is our authority as Christians and this black and white statement by Jesus makes Christian Theology very narrow, although extremely generous due the sacrifice Jesus made to pay our way.

The definition of liberal is: not literal or strict; broadminded; not bound by authoritarianism, orthodoxy, or traditional forms; lacking moral restraint.

Liberal, by definition, cannot be used to describe a Christian (disciple of Christ) as defined by Jesus Christ.

I think, if you were to ask most people who call themselves liberal Christians if Jesus was Lord they would most likely say, "Of course, I am a Christian."

And Jesus would ask, "So why do you call me `Lord,' when you won't obey me?" Luke 6:46

An apprentice of Jesus
Royal

5 Comments:

Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

GOd Whacked me with tha Luke verse years back. It dropped my jaw.

There is not a good answer to it, other than to bow the knee.

God's best in Him,

Kerry

9:11 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Thanks Kerry,

That is the good answer.....the only one...but the heart has to be changed to keep the knee bent...

9:22 AM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

Hi! Found my way here via "Thro A Glass Darkly". Nice blog, and I'll be back again!

5:48 PM, October 07, 2005  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I'm doing some studying these days on the issue of holiness. I must say I'm a bit more conservative in my choices today because of it.

But three months ago? I was a bit more liberal... I actually (GASP!) rented three rated-R movies from the local library.


So... is my salvation still intact?

2:15 PM, October 12, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Jesus said, "My sheep recognize my voice; I know them, and they follow me. 28 I give them eternal life, and they will never perish. No one will snatch them away from me, for my Father has given them to me, and he is more powerful than anyone else. So no one can take them from me."
John 10:27-29 (Once saved, if saved, always saved)

Holiness means set apart to do the work of God. The closer one is to God, or the source of light, the more uncomfortable one is around dark. (Litmus test for holy living)

Thankfully, because of God's grace we can slip up. (Backslide they called it in the old days) We can make bad choices and still be forgiven. (Prodigal son did not lose his salvation but lost his peace)

It is not did you rent a R-rated movie or not, The question is, how did you feel in the darker places in the movie and how does it effect your witness to a weaker brother or an unbeliever?

For me, a test for where I am with God is checking how I feel about the world.

Also, I have found that I need to stay away from the word conservaticve. (Too subjective and too easy to manipulate)

2:52 PM, October 12, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home