Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Sunday, September 18, 2005

I Am Blessed to Be a Dad

Friday was an indredible day to be Brooke and Nick's dad. They grew up so fast. I never knew how enjoyable it would be to have adult kids. My daughter Brooke (23) graduated from UTA in May with a degree in Marketing/Public Relations.

She completed her degree in four years and has had a job since she was sixteen, and since graduating she has worked two jobs while looking for the job.

She had a big job interview on Friday. Lisa went shopping with her on Thursday for a new suit. She called me a little nervous on Friday morning and I prayed for her and encouraged my little girl.

Just before lunch on Friday Brooke called and was excited about her interview. She came by the office and looked so professional and beautiful in her suit. I was so proud to take her to lunch and hear about her day.

I am so blessed to be Brooke's dad.

My son Nick turned twenty on Friday. He is a sophomore at TCU. He is a serious student and a natural leader. He comes home from school on the weekends and works at Applebees on Friday and Saturday waiting tables.

His mother, Lisa, and I went to Applebees on Friday night and waited till we could get a table in his section. We always tip him big in case he is having a slow night. I love watching him wait on tables like we used to watch him play football.

He said, "Dad, you want to watch a movie when I get off work tonight." I said, "Sure, what time do you get off?" "Midnight", he replied.

When he got home from work he showered, and we had milk and cookies while we watched "Briane's Song." This was the first movie that ever made me cry. It was 1971 and I was twelve, so I didn't tell anyone about the crying. I cried again this time and I really didn't care. My kids have seen me cry a lot. If Nick cried, he didn't show it. Plus he was tired and I had to wake him up a few times.

I am blessed to be Nick's dad.


My kids still get up every Sunday morning and drive from Arlington and Ft. Worth to worship with Lisa and me.

I know Lisa and I didn't do everyting right. Thank you God for blessing us and allowing us to be Brooke and Nick's parents.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are blessed indeed, Royal. And I am blessed to be mother to Jennifer and Billy. Yesterday, Billy called me from Iraq to see how I am feeling since completing chemo. Then I spent the evening with Jennifer eating pizza and playing with her new puppy. Thank you God for wonderful adult children.

10:27 AM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger Christi S. King said...

I just love your blog, Royal. Your last few posts about blessings have been a blessing to me as a reader.

We need to be thankful for even the smallest blessings.

Thanks for the reminder about some of the big ones. :)

P.S. You have a beautiful family!

10:35 AM, September 19, 2005  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allie said...
"Family faces are magic mirrors. Looking at people who belong to us, we see the past, present, and future." ~ Gail Buckley

Our family is blessed to know such a loving family. We are honored to know you and be friends with you all! ;o)

11:09 PM, September 19, 2005  
Blogger Saija said...

so many folks have similar blessings, yet never realize it ... how sad ... so would that make it a double blessing to have a thankful heart ... :o)

p.s. great looking family!

3:18 PM, September 20, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

It is amazing how when you share your blessings with others, you get blessed back. Thanks Susan, Christi, Allie, and Saija.

You are right Saija. I believe when we recognize our blessings they are multiplied. Thank you God for the blessings we have not yet recognized.

Ps 23:5-6
My cup overflows with blessings.
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the house of the LORD
forever. NLT

4:10 PM, September 20, 2005  
Blogger tonymyles said...

How cool... how cool...

I want to write this entry in another 15 years when my boys are that age. I want to know our relationship today gets better tomorrow... and the next day... and so on.

And I will work towards that... with sweat and prayer.

1:43 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Tony, The rewards are far greater than the sacrifice. It is easy to see that now....It is not as hard to sweat and pray for your kids as it for anything else.....

2:20 AM, September 23, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home