Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Saturday, September 17, 2005

I Am Blessed to Be a Pastor

I got a call Sunday night during LIFE group that Marie was dying. That is one of the blessings that comes with being a pastor. Yeah, I know that sounds weird. What a privledge it is though to be called when a family is in grief and being able to spend time with them when they are most aware of God, mortality, and their relationships with each other. All of the sudden, in a very busy world, nothing else seems important. I am thankful to God and for families for allowing me to be a part of this most intimate with God time.

Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4

I have never had anyone in her last hours tell me she wishes she had made more money, or she wishes she worked more hours. People who are close to meeting God in person speak about the importance of relationships. "I hope I have been a good parent." "I should have tried to get along with my brother better." "I wish I had started living for God earlier and made a difference in the lives of others." "I stayed on the fence too long. I should have got off the fence and served God." There is usually a peaceful resolve for the Christ-follower because God gives her an inner feeling of grace she has never really understood before.

More than at any other time in a person's life, whether the one going or the one's staying, God and the subject of who God is the topic of most interest. Everyhing else just seems to fade off the list of what's important. What a blessing to be able to be God's love with skin on during this time.

Marie was in hospital 100 miles away and her time on this side was short. After missing several turns and arriving at the hospital later than I expected I arrived at Marie's bed side. I never know what really to say when I get there so I just leave it open to God leading me.

I baptized Marie in the summer of 2004 on August 22, my birthday. Baptism is another great blessing that comes as part of the pastor job. She was in her upper 70's. Marie was having more health problems than she used to. She came to me on a Sunday morning and said she wanted to live for Jesus and be baptized. She had been baptized at an earlier stage of life but she said this time she really meant it. She wanted to live for Jesus and she wanted to make sure her family knew she was living for Him. Her baptism was an exciting day for her, me, and Jesus.

When I got to her bedside she was all wired up and had an airhose down her throat. She couldn't talk, but I knew she was alert because she was watching the nurse push buttons on the machines above her head. I said, "Hi Marie. It's me, Royal." See if you let God lead you He will always tell you what to say.

I told her she didn't look to good. That may not be the polite or politically correct thing to say, but it was honest. She did not look good. I could tell she recognized me and was tracking with what I was saying. I said, "Marie, you know if you go tonight you will be with Jesus and everyone you leave behind will be just fine." She was making eye contact and I realized that she probably did not know how to respond to a statement like that.

I bent down close so I knew she could hear and I said a prayer for her. I kissed her on the forehead and said, "I'll see you later. I'll see you here or I'll see you on the other side."

Immediately, with hose in her mouth and all, she smiled from ear to ear.
Marie stepped into the presence of the one who loves her most at 3:am the next morning.

Thank you God for the blessing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

yes, indeed ... it is far better to be absent from the body, and present with the Lord ... one sweet day that will be my joy - to be present with the Lord ...

blessings ...

8:58 PM, September 18, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home