Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Tuesday, September 27, 2005

A Cross or A Crucifix???

cross - 'kross - a structure consisting of an upright with a transverse beam used especially by the ancient Romans for execution (b) often capitalized : the cross on which Jesus was crucified

cru·ci·fix -: a representation of Christ on the cross

I grew up in the Catholic church. A big beautiful crucifix was always prominently displayed in our church, on the nuns and priests, and hanging from the parishioners necks.

When I started going to the Baptist church, or the protestant church, the crucifix was no longer a part of the church. The evangelical churches replaced the crucifix with the cross. I have always heard the reason for the cross over the crucifix is because, "We don't worship a dead Christ who is still on the Cross. We follow a resurrected Christ who is alive and not on the cross."

I have to admit, I was quite proud to have a cross representing our alive Jesus over having one still dead on the cross. Isn't that what the Bible teaches? Isn't that the very essence of the Good News of the Gospel that Jesus sacrificed himself for our sins, was buried, and rose again on he third day so that those of us who believe are cleansed of our sins and we have victory over death also? Of course....Thus the empty cross.

But wait a minute. Do we really believe what we say we believe? Do we really believe the Good News of the Gospel? Do we really believe that Jesus died for us? I don't know, I mean, maybe, I mean yes, I mean of course, once saved always saved, right? Do we live what we say we believe? Do we worship, I mean really worship, the one who died for us?

Is it possible that an empty cross makes it harder for us to remember the sacrifice that bought our freedom? Is it possible we take God's grace for granted because we take the cross for granted? The apostle Paul wrote, "I am not one of those who treats the grace of God as meaningless. For if we could be saved by keeping the law, then there was no need for Christ to die. (Gal 2:21) Does an empty cross, in our human state of mind, facilitate a distance from what happened on the cross which in turn leads us into treating the grace of God as meaingless? (I am sorry, I am a talker not a writer)

Do we need to rewatch "The Passion of Christ" movie several times a year to remind us?

What if every church had a cross and a crucifix? What if every time you walked into a service you saw the crucifix, a visualization of Christ's sacrifice, and beside it a cross, a reminder of the resurrection?

Just a thought.

Thank you Jesus for loving us so much. May we never forget, and may we live our lives as people who are extremly grateful, and tell many others the good news and show them the crucifix and the cross.

Serving you in Him
Royal

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

A point well taken, Royal. I agree with you. I think we probably need both. At least we need to frequently think about Jesus on that cross, what he sacrificed for us, and the tremendous impact it has on the lives of those who accept Him.

11:03 AM, September 28, 2005  
Blogger tonymyles said...

I think the irony is that in my experience Catholics are more at ease with both while Protestants tend to make a big deal about the distinction.

2:48 AM, October 01, 2005  
Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

Neat thots. Thanks

Sign me,

In the Crucified One, hopefully taking up my cross daily, crucified to self, alive in Him, putting to deat the deeds of the flesh, rasied with Him...

10:40 AM, October 05, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Man that is hard to do Kerry. But I am training (not just trying) with the grace of God.

10:53 AM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home