Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Belief - Not What I Say but What I Do

"My friend Andrew the protester believes things. Andrew goes to protests where he gets pepper-sprayed, and he does it because he believes in being a voice of change. My Republican friends get frustrated when I paint Andrew as a hero, but I like Andrew because he actually believes things that cost him something. Even if I disagree with Andrew, I love that he is willing to sacrifice for what he believes....Andrew is the one that taught me that what I believe is not what I say I believe; what I believe is what I do." Blue Like Jazz - Nonreligious Thoughts on Christian Spirituality, by Donald Miller.

When you go beyond belief to conviction in Christ, it costs something. It costs comfort, responsibility, discipline and popularity. It costs being different than the rest of the world, walking to the beat of a different drum, filtering life through the eyes of Jesus rather than the eyes of the world. It takes worshiping Christ in our every day life not just being comfortable with the idea that if I die Christ has paid the premium on my fire insurance. Without keeping our eyes focused on Christ it is impossible to live a life for Christ. The apostle Paul wrote, " For to me, living is for Christ, and dying is even better. (Phil. 1:21)

If we really believe, if we go beyond belief to lifestyle, Christ will provide; the power, the courage, the comfort, the change, the counsel, the energy, and the love to give away that will change the lives of others. The apostle Paul is saying, "Look, I am living for Christ, and as long as I am living for Him, it is a full life. (John 10:10) When I am done with this full life of purpose, then I will really be living." This is delayed gratification to the extreme.

People look at most Christians and because our faith does not seem to make much of a difference in our lives, they are not interested.

When I had a counseling practice I had a policy that I would not see a client that did not pay for his own therapy. I learned that the hard way. I had a couple of churches that wanted to pick up the tab for their members that could not afford it. I found out in a hurry that when clients did not have to make some kind of financial sacrifice, they would not work. They would miss appointments, they would not complete assignments, and most would make little or no progress toward emotional and spiritual health.

They were not motivated to work when the therapy was free.

For Christians to become Christ-followers, if Christians are going to live what they say they believe, if they are going to go from belief to conviction, they are going to have to realize that their salvation is not free. The price of salvation is high and Jesus Christ paid it for us.

When you think of what he has done for you, is this too much to ask? (Rom. 12:1)

Training to see things through His eyes,
Royal

4 Comments:

Blogger tonymyles said...

Amen!

1:38 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Curious Servant said...

Nice post. I just recently finished reading "Blue Like Jazz" and I enjoyed the overall approach of the book. . . a gritty look at the Christian walk.


A couple of thoughts (keep in mind that I understand that I may be wrong). . .

Does following Him mean that sometimes life gets more difficult than when we don't? It seems that my life has become almost fictional in the difficulties that seem to spring up. The more I abadondon me for Him the more challenging it seems to become.

There is this idea that many folks have that obedience to our LORD means that things will get better (in terms of easier, happier, etc.) I think it gets better in that our walk, our journey, draws us closer to a better understanding of Him and that what we learn is better for our own growth and for those who observe our walk, not nescessarily easier.

AS for folks paying for their sessions. . . you may be right, but I am thinking about some folks we have helped and who have not earned it or even sem to aappreciate it. But I know that in helping them I was doing what He wanted. Maybe the point wasn't so much how it affected their situation as much as it was my simply obedience that mattered.

Who knows. What a long strange trip it's been. I will follow wherever the shepherd leads.

11:51 AM, September 23, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Does following Him mean that sometimes life gets more difficult than when we don't? It seems that my life has become almost fictional in the difficulties that seem to spring up. The more I abadondon me for Him the more challenging it seems to become.

Derar Curious,

Contrary to the teaching of a few wealthy TV evangelists, following Jesus is not alwasy easy. As a matter of fact and history, it is probably the opposite.

How many Biblical characters do you know that had a great easier life because of their faith?

Jesus uses the tough faith of the believer to spread the Gospel. James Stalker wrote, "Not infrequently it was by persecution that the new faith was driven out of one place and into anothor, where but, for this reason, it might never have been heard of; so that the opposition which threatened to extinguish the fire of the Gospel only scattered its embers far and wide; and wherever they fell a new fire was kindled."

We want our ways to be convenient and profitable according to our flesh wants and needs. That is not sound biblical teaching but it sells a lot of books.

6:43 AM, September 25, 2005  
Blogger Kerry Doyal said...

You, my friend, have learnt' a thing or two

10:42 AM, October 05, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home