Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Prayer is a Two Way Conversation

An article by Newsweek in 1992 said that 78% of all Americans report praying to God at least once a week. Twenty percent of atheists and agnostics say they pray at least once a day. Americans reported to pray more than go to work, exercise, or have sex. But for most people that pray, it is a one way conversation with God. People talk to God on an as needed basis and don't expect Him to answer.

People who report two way conversations with God are considered weird, crazy, radical, or blasphemous. Most people continue to talk to God even though they don't expect Him to talk back.

Brother Lawrence wrote: There is not in the world a kind of life more sweet and delightful than that of a continual conversation with God. Those only can comprehend it who practice and experience it; yet I do not advice you to do it from that motive. It is not pleasure that we ought to seek from this exercise; but let us do it from a principle of love, and because God would have us.
Jesus said: "Yes, I am the vine; you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing. John 15:5

Jesus said that our prayer life and our relationship with Him and the Father should be an ongoing interaction and conversation through the connection of Jesus to the Father. We are in Jesus and He is in us. He is always present to guide, counsel, comfort, confront in every situation and at any time through the power and presence of the Holy Spirit.

We have to choose to stay in the "in Him and Him in me" attitude in order to practice His constant presence. Most Christians never truly get to know Jesus because they only talk to Him one way in the form of a request in a situation where it is decided the possibility of His intervention could be beneficial. (Try getting to know a person with one way conversations)

Jesus answers our prayers but we have not learned how to understand His answers. I think we need to listen more than we need to talk.

an apprentice of Jesus
Royal

5 Comments:

Blogger Saija said...

this made me smile ... Jesus DOES talk to me and sometimes i just don't like what He says! bad, eh? but i do listen and then sigh and say "ok, Lord"....

good post ...

11:00 PM, January 14, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Royal, do you think we all begin with a one-way conversation because we have so much white noise in our head that we can’t hear the answer? Or maybe as Saija put it, we just don’t really want to hear the answer? Or maybe that’s why Paul was upset with the Corinthians, because some Christians never move past the milk phase and on to the meat?

The first time I shut up long enough to hear Him it was a huge surprise – wonderful – but still very surprising. And you’re right; it’s hard to explain, especially to an unbeliever - and even to a lot of Christians - without someone thinking you’re a crackpot.

Sometimes I hear crystal clear answers in terms and words that I fully understand in a complete conversation, but other times He just brings to mind Scriptures that answer my questions completely to show me that I already knew the answer.

But then there are times that He brings to mind Scriptures that I know, but I don’t understand. And that’s all I get.

But you know what? Those are the times that I have learned the most because He leads me to ‘work it out’ in His Word. Does that make sense? He doesn’t always make it easy for me but He always makes it wonderful and exciting.

Thanks for a great post,
Christi

9:22 PM, January 16, 2006  
Blogger Royal said...

Hey Christi,

"Royal, do you think we all begin with a one-way conversation because we have so much white noise in our head that we can’t hear the answer?"

Yes, and more....Most of the time we don't expect God to answer. Like throwing up a last second basketball shot or a hail mary pass and not really expecting it to connect.

We need more of an intimacy with God and to do that we have to understand better His grace, mercy, love, and involvement in our every day lives.

"But you know what? Those are the times that I have learned the most because He leads me to ‘work it out’ in His Word."

This does make sense. Meditation...The psalmist wrote I meditate on your age-old laws; O LORD, they comfort me. Ps. 119:52

Your principles have been the music of my life throughout the years of my pilgrimage. Ps. 119:54

Thanks and God Bless Christi
Royal

10:06 AM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger Allie said...

Royal and Christi -
I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one with "white noise"! ;o) Of course I when the White Noise gets so loud my favorite thing to do is get louder - with worship music!! I sometimes feel like my "white noise" is satan's grip - his way of grabbing hold on life's chaos - you know making your head spin. When you mind begins to wander about things you need to be doing, things you've got to do, things you should do - all the while your dear friend, husband needs your undivided attention or maybe GOD does. Meditation and focus are so important.
Thanks for your blogs they mean so much to me...
Peace and Blessings,

9:58 PM, January 18, 2006  
Blogger tonymyles said...

"Jesus answers our prayers but we have not learned how to understand His answers. I think we need to listen more than we need to talk."

I totally agree - well said, bro!

2:15 PM, January 24, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home