Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Friday, January 13, 2006

Fast - Day 12 - Smell the Roses

I have found that when I am fasting my senses become more acute. My sense of smell is incredible. As I walk or ride my motorcycle or just walk into a room it seems I can smell everything. Maybe not everything, but good things. Flowers, grass, food, cologne. I seem to be much more aware of what is going on around me, I mean the good stuff. Life smells good. The things I am blessed with seem to come to the front and have a smell or a feeling that goes with them.

Last Sunday, after church, I went with my family and some friends to our favorite local family owned Italian restaurant, Bellisimos. I sat at the table and drank coffee while everyone else ate lunch. I really enjoyed myself. I enjoyed the conversation. I especially enjoyed listening. I listened to my kids talk with each other and with a couple of friends. They were having a good time. They were laughing and telling jokes and I was having fun watching them and thinking how blessed Lisa and I are. I also noticed others watching and listening. They were smiling also.

It seems that the more time I spend focusing on God, the more He shows me how much I am blessed. It is really quite incredible. My life really is more full than I often realize. (John 10:10) There are many things I take for granted that are amazing blessings and they are there every day.

You know the old song that says, "You got to stop and smell the roses. You got to count your many blessings every day." The more attention I pay to God, the easier it is to smell the roses.

I walked into a coffee shop yesterday and felt led to buy coffee for the two people behind me. They were beside themselves grateful. The whole place seemed to get brighter all of the sudden. The lady behind the counter wrote on my cup, "The nicest man in the world." All I did was buy a couple of cups of coffee. The man behind me started telling me about his window washing company and the struggle they were having. I got a chance to encourage him. What a blessing. I could really smell the roses.

God truly wants us to experience joy. He wants it so bad He sent His only Son to pay for the sins that keep us separated from Him. The more we see things through the eyes of Jesus, the more roses there are to smell.

an apprentice of Jesus smelling the roses
Royal

1 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

Your posts are a blessing to me. Thank you for reminding us to stop and smell the roses!

11:42 AM, January 20, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home