Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Friday, December 30, 2005

Christmas vs. Holiday from a Muslim Perspective


Please Check out the Dec. 25 (Christmas Day) post from Muslim Dr. Hesham A. Hassaballa of Chicago. Hassaballa is a Pulmonary and Critical Care physician currently practicing in the greater Chicago area and has been a Beliefnet columnist since 2001.

Here are some quotes. Please check out the entire post.

"there is something my Christmas-celebrating fellow Americans and I have in common. When I greeted my neighbors or Christian friends this holiday season, I said to them, "Merry Christmas." Some, in fact, said to me, "Hey, Dr. Hassaballa, Happy Holidays!" And I said back to them, "Merry Christmas.""

Have I sold myself out to the "infidels"? No, not really. As a Muslim in a majority Christian society, I have respect for the holidays and special occasions of my fellow Americans. Thus, with the respect demanded by Islam to non-Muslim compatriots, I say to other Christian Americans: "Merry Christmas." It's very similar to saying "Happy Birthday" to someone on their birthday, isn't it? I mean, "merry" means "happy." I think that, in some countries, they in fact do say "Happy Christmas" instead of "Merry Christmas." Whatever the case may be, I gladly say "Merry Christmas" to my Christian friends and neighbors.In fact, this whole thing about not saying "Merry Christmas" because it is not politically correct is pretty pathetic. If I know someone is Christian, I will tell them, "Merry Christmas," not "Happy Holidays."

Does this mean that I am celebrating the holiday? No. All I am saying is "I hope your 25th day of December is a happy day." In fact, the greeting "Merry Christmas" really is not enough: it should be "Blessed Christmas," like we Muslims say to each other on our Eid days.

I do the same thing to my Jewish friends and co-workers (yes, I do have them). When Rosh Hashannah, the Jewish New Year, comes around, I tell them, Shana Tova, or "Happy New Year." Again, I am not "taking up the customs of the infidels." I am simply wishing a fellow human being goodness on his or her special religious day.

There was a time when I did not believe as I do now. I thought, back in my days of darkness, that it was wrong to say, "Merry Christmas" or even "Happy New Year" to any of the "infidels." Thank God I was cured of that religious world view.

Thanks Dr. Hassaballa for your Christmas Lesson on love.

An Apprentice of Christ
Royal

1 Comments:

Blogger Royal said...

Thanks JP.

I will check it out.

Thanks for stopping by.

Royal

8:01 PM, December 30, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home