Through His Eyes

Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you.Rom.12:2 (MSG) Then you can see things through His eyes.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas, United States

I have the best job in the world. I am the Pastor and Church planter of Life Connection Church. I am married to Lisa for 27 years and have two adult children, Brooke 23, Nick 21 that have been and still are an incredible blessing to my life. Brooke is a graduate of UTA and is in the corporate world and Nick is a business major at Texas Christian University.

Saturday, December 31, 2005

What Do you Eat Before You Fast?

Happy almost new year. On New Years day I will be spending time with family and friends and having my last meal for thirty days. I also have the day off from teaching so I will be visiting another church in the area and just being a 1st time guest.

I started fasting in January six or seven years ago to 1) Start off the year getting closer to God 2) Pray about God's direction in my life 3) Pray about God's direction for Life Connection Church. (My first Jan. fast was to pray about our first leadership retreat at a previous church where I was an associate pastor).

I am really looking forward to the fast. By the second week my time spent with God really gets sweet and He does a lot to get me back on track to seeing life and people from His point of view. And by the end of the fast it is hard to let it go. I hope to blog during this time more and be more disciplined in my own personal journaling as I pray, study God's Word, and practice His presence when tempted to eat.

On the lighter side, what does one eat when he knows he is not going to eat for 30 days? Not that I have not eaten plenty over the holidays. (By the way, just about everything looks good to eat and is tempting when you are not eating)

I was on a ride the other day and I stopped by a local gas station to buy a candy that is rare nowadays and hard to find, but it is by far my favorite candy. I love Cherry Mash. Not that I eat it much, but it would be a great snack to eat before the fast. I went in to buy two of them. I used to go to the 7-11 as a kid and trade bottles for a Slurpee and a Cherry Mash. So, I pull up to the gas station, walk straight to the candy isle, and they don't carry it any more.

Oh well, if I don't get a Cherry Mash before my fast, I can look forward to having one after. (I googled it and you can order them on line)

If you were not going to eat for 30 days, what would you eat?

an apprentice of Christ
Royal

5 Comments:

Blogger Renee said...

I loved a Cherry Mash when I was a kid and traded my moms Coke bottles for them also!
I would eat Chinese food before a fast.
Just wondering, what do you drink while fasting?

7:27 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger Royal said...

Hey Kelly,

I pretty much drink anything. (No alcohol) It is mostly just a food fast. I will drink Slim-fast and drinks with vitamins. I have to be careful not to drink too many juices like apple or orange....Too much sugar.

God Bless
Royal

10:03 PM, December 31, 2005  
Blogger Saija said...

this is the second time i've read about fasting in the past 2 weeks ... it is something that i've wondered about ... you do have real juice type fluids though? right?

a very happy new year to you and yours! may the Lord richly bless & make Himself known!

12:40 AM, January 01, 2006  
Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

I curious to know how you can go thirty days without eating anything. I've never really fasted before like that. Like how doe it work? Can you have like water and flat bread maybe? Or just juices and such? Please let me know because I'm interested in fasting for spring break, but I don't want to pass out either from not getting anything into my body, unless the idea is to let God keep you going without food. Not sure! Someone please explain! Thanks!

11:55 AM, January 15, 2006  
Blogger Alyssa Joy Lewis said...

Oops! never mind! i just read your post above, but i'd still like some info on what it's like to fast if you don't mind sharing your experience. Peace and Love!

11:59 AM, January 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home